Sunday, 27 August 2017

Interview  with  Slamophiliac  done  by  Patrick posted on 8-27-17


Interview  with  Darryn P. Vocalist and all instrument  of Slamophiliac  done  by  Patrick


1.Hello  Darryn  how  are  things  going  in  Texas  these days?


Heat... mosquitos, misery.

2.When  did you  first  get  the idea  to  start  the  band?Did  you  plan  to  stay  a  one man  band  or  would  you  like  to  add  more  members?


The band was originally Slam Induced Groove which was terrible cause I had no clue what I was doing and gave up on it. Later I revived it as Slamophiliac with the idea that if I presented myself as a joke and wrote joke songs about silly news stories that it wouldn't matter if the music was good or not cause it was a joke. That changed when Todd Grove who was co-writing the stuff with me at the time decided to start producing CDs for bands and wanted me to be his test case. I put my all into that first full-length and that's basically the origin of Slamophiliac as it is today. When it comes to other members for the band, Slamophiliac has all ways just been me and that's kind of the brand at this point so it would feel wrong in a way to have someone else in full time.


3.Who  are  some  musicians{past or present} you  would  like to  work  with  if  given  the  chance?


I joke about collabing with various people from Lady Gaga to Billy the Fridge to Big Freedia. Honestly though I just like working with my friends. If you look at the guest features on my albums it's all people I talk to regularly on social media. Though if I were to be fantastical I would love to jam with Devin Townsend.


4.Slam Rehab  is  the  bands  newest release which  will  be  released  through  CDN Rec,  how  did you  come  in  contact  with this  label?


Craig (the owner) actually contacted Todd Grove and I about our project together called Spilling Entrails which was just this silly one off song we did about Jurrasic Park or whatever. He wanted us to do an album and in talks with him, he and I made a deal to release my 2nd album Slam Obsessed and 5 or 6 albums later at this point it's been a very great relationship and I wouldn't trade CDN for any label at this point.

5.How  long  did  it take you  to  write  the  music  for this  release?


It takes me about 2-3 hours to write a full song. That said, I will end up deleting an entire album and then writing a new on using the best bits from the last version. That can happen 3 even 4 times. So each song could take anywhere from 2 hours if I love it on the first attempt to 12+ hours of work sometimes to get a song I like.



6.Besides  Slam Rehab  I  know you have  a lot  of  split releases and full length's are any  of the  past  releases  still available?Besides  the releases  is their  any  other merchandise  available for the readers to buy if  yes what  is  available and where  can the readers  find it?


All of my releases are available in digital form on my bandcamp page. As for CDs everything should be available through CDN Records unless something is sold out. Those are the first two places I would send people for the music. As for merch like shirts and things I'm more about the music than the merch.

7.Darryn you  handle  the  vocals  for the band  when  did you become interested  in  growling?Do you  do  anything  special  to  keep your  voice and throat  healthy?


I'm actually terrible at guttural vocals. I hate doing it, I only do it cause it's expected in this music. I would look to other people for tips on vocals cause that's just not my bag of tea man.


8.Who  are  some  of your influences  and  favorite  vocalists?


Forgive me I don't know anyone's name but the dude from the first Abominable Putridity album, the dude from that new band Diphenylchlorarsine, the chick from Awaiting the Autopsy, Twitch of the Death Nerve, just all of those insanely guttural and unique brutal death metal vocalists. I won't ever be able to do what they do but they inspire me to try.



9.Besides  the  vocals you  also handle  the  guitars  for the  band when  did you become  interested in  playing the  guitars?Are  you  self taught  or  did you  have lessons when  first  starting  out?

I'm fully self taught. I knew I wanted to make my own music and I knew I wanted to make brutal death metal and slam specifically so I knew a guitar was essential to that and being an anti-social weirdo like I am I didn't know anyone who could do it for me so I picked up a guitar from a friend back in high school for $15 and spent the last 8 years since just failing at it and occasionally getting something worth while.

10.Who  are some  of your influences  and  favorite  guitarists?Besides  the  vocals  and  guitars  do  you  currently play   any  other  instruments?

I'm real into the band Cerebral Effusion's guitar work, as well as Wormed and Devin Townsend and Dave Young I think is the guitarist for him. All of those guys are brilliant along with countless other people I can't remember. I also enjoy the way some shoegaze guitarists use pedals and things to manipulate their guitars sounds. Technology is neat. I also play the bass though I'm not amazing at it. I can do enough for the music I make and not much else.



11.Besides  Slamophiliac  do  you  currently  play  in  any  other bands  or  projects  if  yes  please  tell  the  readers  a  little  about  them?

Spilling Entrails. As I mentioned earlier that was a silly project between me and Todd Grove that got serious when CDN picked us up. That's the only project I work on other than Slamophiliac at this point.

12.Slamophiliac   comes  out  of  the  brutal  death metal  scene  in  Texas   what  is your opinion  of the  Texas metal  scene?

Not really. Slamophiliac is a thing that only exists on the internet, I don't perform any of this junk live so other than the fact I live in Texas there really is no connection between Slamophiliac and the Texas death metal world. As for my opinion on the scene here in Texas it's wonderful. So many great bands old and new. 


13.Who  are your  all-time  favorite  Texan  bands  and  are  their  any  new  bands  you feel  the  readers  should  check  out?

Disfigured, Eviscerated, Devourment obviously, Insidious Decrepancy that list could go on forever. As for new guys, Morgue Meat, Putrid Womb, a local I just discovered about a month ago called Toluca. I've seen all 3 live and they destroy.

14.Besides  brutal  death  metal  do you  listen  to  any  other  forms  of  underground  music?If  yes  who  are  some  of your  favorite  bands and  artists?

I listen to anything and everything quite literally. Some of it in a very ironical way like Big Freedia who is this sort of cross dressing hip hop person, apologies if that isn't politically correct. I'm also really into progressive metal lately, Devin Townsend who's my favorite musician period, Gojira, Meshuggah, Dream Theater, Amorphis, Neurosis etc. Tokyo Shoegazer is also this shoegaze band I can't get enough of. Also a big fan of country prior to 1980, guys like Cash, Merle Haggard, David Allan Coe. Before I even got into metal really I was into big band music like Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, etc. I could talk endlessly about music. It's what I live for.


15.Other  then  music  we  are  huge  movie   fans  here  do you  like to  watching  movies?If  yes  what  are  some  of your  all-time  favorite  movies?

I love the really shitty movies Asylum Productions puts out. They're the guys behind Sharknado. If I want to have a good time I typically put on something from that company or some kind of other just terrible movie. Typically shark movies. I have a bit of an obsession with terrible shark movies, I've seen and forgotten about more cheap shark movies than you could ever imagine. ha

16.Do  you  have  any favorite  actresses and  actors  you  enjoy  watching? 

Betty Whitte is my favorite actress. Specifically in the movie Lake Placid. Something about and old woman being foul mouthed is hilarious to me. Cloris Leachman did a great job in the sequel as well.

17.when  not  working  on  new  music or band  business  what do you enjoy  doing  in your  free  time?

Most of my time is dedicated to making music for this project or running my own little label operation Mortuus Music which despite being incredibly small is still a lot of work and hassle but when I'm not working on music releated activities, I play a lot of Skyrim. I'm not a gamer at all cause I could never afford games as a kid but I really got into Skyrim, specifically how you could play it again and again and never do it the same way. I also really enjoy watching political youtubers, I won't mention any because that can get ugly real fast. ha


18.Thank  you  Darryn  for  taking the  time  to  fill  this  interview  out  do you  have  any  final  comments  for the  readers?

Thank you for taking an interest, I hope everyone out there enjoys the album, or even if they hate it that's cool too. Nothing's funnier than seeing someone hate on my music especialy when it's something about me personally and not the music itself. Kudos to you, the reader, for making it this far as well, on behalf of Ancient Visionz, thank you for supporting their work and please check out all the things I mentioned in this interview, especially the bands. Peace, love and slams.

                                                                      Band   C0ntacts
                                                                   https://slamophiliac.bandcamp.com/
                                                                   https://twitter.com/Slamophiliac
                                                              https://www.facebook.com/slamophiliac
                                                                    Label  Contacts
                                                                http://www.cdnrecords.com/
                                                                https://twitter.com/cdnrecords
                                                              https://www.facebook.com/cdnrecords
                                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.