- ABOUT ANCIENT VISIONZ
- REVIEW & RADIO INTERVIEW SUBMISSIONS
- ANCIENT VISIONZ TALK RADIO & FAQS
- ANCIENT VISIONZ TALK RADIO SCHEDULE
- ANCIENT VISIONZ RADIO ARCHIVES
- REQUEST MOVIE REVIEWS
- THE WORLD OF THE WASTELANDS
- THE WASTELANDS STORY ARCHIVES
- TV/FILM REVIEWS
- COMIC REVIEWS
- FILM INTERVIEWS
Wednesday, 7 February 2018
Interview with Et Moriemur done by Patrick posted on 2-7-18
Interview with Et Moriemur done by Patrick
1. Hello please introduce yourselves to the readers?
Hello Patrick and everybody who´s reading, here is Zdenek, I am writing from Prague and I am the singer of the Czech doom band Et Moriemur.
2. Et Moriemur was formed in 2008 what gave you all the idea to start this band? And how did you choose the band name does it have a special meaning?
I´ve always been into music, playing or composing, and at that time I felt like I needed to externalize my feelings and emotions - hoping that the result would be any good :)
My girlfriend found the name for the band reading the book, "Western Attitudes Toward Death“ by Philippe Ariès. „Et Moriemur („And we shall die“ in Latin) sounds good, what do you think?,“ she asked me. I couldn´t but agree :)
3. The band seems to draw influences from a few different genres of music who would you say are Et Moriemur biggest influences?
Of course we are influenced mainly by doom bands such as the early Paradise Lost, Evoken, Skepticism, Mournful Congregation or Shape Of Despair. There are other influences though coming from black metal (like Burzum or Bethlehem), German dark wave scene, movie soundtracks or ambient and classical music.
4. Epigrammata is the bands third cd how long did it take the band to write the music for the new release?
We actually started composing it even before our second album was recorded and released so, as is usually our case, the whole process had been rather long. This time we wanted to achieve a very spiritual atmosphere - that´s why we relied heavily on traditional Gregorian chants and lyrics in Ancient Greek and Latin.
5. Who usually handles writing the lyrics for the music and what are some topics you all wrote about on the new release?
It´s me who writes the lyrics basically trying to fit them into the concept of the album. Epigrammata, a Greek word for epigrams i.e. brief (in our case funerary) poems, tries to come to terms with the dying or death or our loved ones. One thing I´d like to point out is that „loved ones“ here doesn´t refer necessarily only to people but to animals as well or any other being we adored and is no more here.
6. Does Et Moriemur get to play live very often? If yes what have been some of the bands most memorable shows over the years?
No, we don´t play very often, we´d like to anyway and let´s see what where Epigrammata will bring us. Throughout the years we played with many great bands such as Mournful Congregation, Saturnus, Esoteric, Ahab, My Lament, Doomed, Ophis or Marché Funebre.
7. Are there any tours or shows planned this year in support of Epigrammata? If yes where will the band be playing and who are some bands you will be sharing the stage
Yes we are planning a string of shows - in Czech republic and around Europe as well. We started working with a proper booking agency, let´s see what will come out of it.
8. Besides the upcoming Epigrammata release does the band have the previous releases still availible for the readers to purchase? Besides physical releases are there any other merchandise availible for the readers, if yes what is availible and where can the readers buy it?
Sure, people can buy all our albums from us except for our original first EP which is sold out but we have a digipack re-release from 2015 of that. Plus we have our second album Ex Nihilo In Nihilum re-released on black and white LP as well. And sure, we have merch, basically t-shirts as we already sold all our hoodies. Everything can be bought directly from us at etmoriemur.com or through the relevant bandcamp pages. Epigrammata and related merch can be bought from our label Transcending Obscurity as well.
9. Has the band ever made a video for any of the songs? If you had the opportunity to make a video for any songs off of Epigrammata which song would you like to be seen made into a video?
Yes, we made a video for the song Liebeslied (Ex Nihilo album). As for Epigrammata we are already working on another official video clip for one of the songs, let us surprise you :)
10. Et Moriemur comes out of the Czech Republic death/doom scene, I know the Czech Republic has a strong death/black metal scene, but what is the doom metal scene like?
There was a strong doom metal scene here in the Nineties with superb bands such as Dissolving Of Prodigy or Silent Stream Of Godless Elegy but then it gradually died out (how appropriate for the genre...). Anyway there has been a doom resurgence with the start of the new millennium and nowadays I´d say the Czech doom metal scene is small but active and with solid bands such as Somnus Aeternus, Self-Hatred, Quercus, The Tower, Blues For The Red Sun or The Corona Lantern.
11. Who are some of your all time favorite bands coming out of the Czech Republic? Are there any new bands you feel the readers should watch out for?
As a teenager I would listen to Czech death/thrash metal bands like Krabathor or Debustrol. As for doom metal I would definitely pick up the above mentioned Disolving Of Prodigy and Silent Stream Of Godless Elegy. I can´t omit the Czech black metal legends Master's Hammer of course. And nowadays I love listening to Panychida, Inferno, Mörkhimmel, Malignant Tumour or Insania.
12. When not working on new music or band business what do you enjoy doing in your free time?
I´m really into Buddhist teachings and meditation and apart from that I practice muay thai. Besides that I love reading some good books or watching Italian horror movies from the 50s-80s :)
13. Besides metal do you or any of the band members listen to any other forms of music? If yes, who are some of your favorite artists and bands?
As for me I like listening to classical music from Gregorian chants to Schönberg´s expressionism, jazz musicians like Coltrane, Evans or Zorn or traditional/ethnic music (any kind). And my bandmates have varied musical tastes as well.
14. Thank you for taking the time to fill this interview out, do you have any final comments for the readers?
Thank you for your support and we hope to see you at one of our shows!